Important: Summer 2020 Seasonal Closure due to COVID-19 Travel Restrictions (Last Reviewed: July 17, 2020) Learn More ›
August 14 - 17, 2021 at CMH Bugaboos
Bi·o·mim·ic·ry (noun): Using the existing models, systems, and elements of nature for the purpose of solving complex human problems.
Journey to the iconic landscape of CMH Bugaboos for this unique opportunity to explore a new perspective of the natural world. Each day, you will fly into the best classroom on Earth for discussions from TEDx speaker Jamie Miller on how biomimicry can work for you. You will discover different ways of thinking and problem solving through understanding nature’s design secrets. Between topics, you’ll hike through this famed landscape, before returning to the comfort of the remote Bugaboo Lodge to dine and relax each evening.
Each morning, from the comfort of the Bugaboo Lodge, you’ll fly to different locations with your guide to immerse yourself in the beauty of these iconic mountains. It’s here where Jamie Miller will hold daily engaging discussions on biomimicry topics before you collectively explore and hike through this incredible landscape. At the end of each day, you’ll return to the lodge to relax and enjoy a gourmet dinner with your group.
Jamie is a TEDx speaker, outdoor enthusiast and innovator of bold sustainable ideas. He is the founder of Biomimicry Frontiers - a design consultancy in Canada that draws creativity and innovation from the natural world. Jamie has been building biomimicry through his consulting, lectures, high-end excursions and workshops since 2007. When he’s not in the field, he’s presenting at events such as the Eco Summit and the Institute for Sustainable Labs.
Session 1: Distractions
Activity 1: Waking up
- For our first adventure, you will learn the power that distractions hold over your experience with nature, your life, and your creative potential. - Being present to what is around you is the first and most important step to biomimicry.
Activity 2: Seeing the potential
- Now that you see the world differently, you will learn about the many ways others have used biomimicry to create groundbreaking ideas and the ways it can inspire new solutions to some of your biggest personal and professional challenges.
Session 2: Listening
Activity 1: Nature as teacher
- Against the backdrop of another incredible outdoor setting, you will learn how to access nature's genius by listening in a completely new way - one that will transform your experience of the outdoors.
Activity 2: Your new toolkit
- In the afternoon, we will explore a new site and practice using the same tools that have led to billion-dollar, biomimetic ideas - tools that will teach you how to abstract ideas from nature.
Activity 3: Transformation
- Finally, we will take a look at the bigger picture and unlock the secrets for how ecosystems can teach us to safely evolve our businesses, our societies, and ourselves.
Session 3: Courage
Activity 1: Reciprocity
- In a unique morning routine, you will forge a deeper connection to your environment and the people within it by learning how reciprocity can translate into your next success.
Activity 2: Your Future Self
- In a daring adventure, you’ll find out what drives you, what you're a "natural" at and what you are truly capable of. Learn your edges, find your potential, and apply biomimicry to get the most out of your life.